My practice began in 2010, exposed to various yoga styles — Moksha, Bikram, Anusara, Vinyasa. Two years later, doing yoga almost every single day, twice when time allowed it, I have completed my one month intensive Teacher-Training course: Hatha, Power, and Vinyasa Yoga underlying the foundation and concepts of Ashtanga-Iyengar from YYoga. And have ever sooo fell in love with my practice.
“It is through the body that you realize you are a spark of divinity” ~ BKS Iyengar
If there is one sole thing I can isolate why I love yoga… it’s because it made me love myself more.
And from there, from that place within each of us, things flow as they are meant to. Flow… I adore this word. And my classes are filled with them. Flowing with the poses, flowing with the breath. They come together on a single spot… my mat… that I try, as we all do, to take the practice off the mat. Yoga is my ground, where I can come back to rooting myself… and not get knotted and entwined with the mishmash of life.
When we come back to the breath, focussing our energy at that moment of inhales and exhales… then you see that spark within you to carry on.
“If you want to learn something, read about it. If you want to understand something, write about it. If you want to master something, teach it.” ~ Yogi Bhajan.
There is more to yoga than the asanas. There is more to yoga than building strength and flexibility. There is more to yoga than being a pretzel. It ignited a spark in me. I listened to it. And now I teach it.
Maia Yoga Instructor RYT 200
Yoga Geeky Tools:
- 200-Hour Teacher Training, October 2012, YYoga, Erica Blitz & Rachel Scott
- Mini-Yogis Training, April 2013, Shana Meyerson
- Arm Balance & Inversions Workshop, June 2013, Stephanie SAM Manchulenko
- Yoga Therapy Workshop, Neck and Shoulders, October 2013, Dillon Cherrett
- CE, Vinyasa Yoga with Alignment and Heart Teacher Training Intensive, July 2014, Todd Norian & Rolf Gates
- Learning to Fly Part Two: Inversions & Arm Balances, December 2014, Savannah Luff
- Science of Vinyasa, May 2015, Jonathan Austman
- Ashtanga Yoga Teacher Training / Personal Development Program, September 2015 to present, Jonathan Austman